Friday, February 3, 2012

Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer: Ivory

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer

Maybelline recently released the Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealers, a new collection of twist-pen concealers. I decided to get one in Ivory. I didn't realize it when I bought it but I also have the now-discontinued Maybelline Dream Mousse Concealer in Ivory, so I will have a swatch comparison between the two.

I happen to like the twist pen setup because it is more hygienic than dipping your fingers or brush into a pot. For my particular pen, the product all squishes out in a blob on just one side of the brush. I can't recommend the brush for blending purposes. I use it to dot the product onto my undereye area, and then I use a synthetic blending brush to blend it in.

The concealer can look a bit heavy but it does blend out nicely with some effort. After blending it out with a brush, I normally pat my fingers over the area so that the heat can melt the product into my skin. I'd say that it offers medium coverage and it does indeed brighten the undereye, although I don't notice any shimmer in it. I don't find it to conceal blemishes. I don't typically bother to cover pimples, but I happen to have a small pimple on my undereye area at the moment so I've been putting the concealer over it. The redness of the bump still shows through, although it is lightened a bit. Lastly, I do find that the concealer can settle into lines. I don't believe I have wrinkles yet but I see that the concealer sits in the little skin crevices directly beneath my lash line. I'd be wary of this concealer if you have issues with lines or wrinkles.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Dream Lumi Concealer in Ivory

As to how it compares to the Dream Mousse Concealer, I find that the coloring is very similar, if not identical. Texture-wise, however, these concealers are completely different. The Dream Lumi Concealer is, of course, a liquid formula, and I find that it appears to sit more on top of the skin. The Dream Mousse Concealer is a whipped mousse formula that feels almost powdery when it is blended onto the skin. Its finish is more matte so it appears to blend more seamlessly into the skin, which I think you can tell from my photo. However, I get the impression that the Dream Lumi melts better into the skin after some time, although I have not done a proper comparison test of performance between the two (so take it with a grain of salt!).

I think I prefer the Dream Lumi over the Dream Mousse because liquid can be pushed and moved around, and it is hence more blendable. The mousse formula is less pliable because it tends to just sit where initially applied. The mousse goes on better with fingers, but I find that finger application usually yields a heavier-looking result.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Dream Lumi v. Dream Mousse (both Ivory)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
L-R: Dream Lumi, Dream Mousse (both Ivory)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
L-R: Dream Lumi, Dream Mousse (both Ivory) blended out

I use concealer strictly to brighten the undereye, and I feel that the Dream Lumi Touch Concealer does a good job of that for mild to moderate dark circles. I don't feel that this would be effective for more severe undereye issues. I also can't recommend it to people who suffer from lines around the eyes. I got mine for $8.50, which is quite justifiable. If you're someone who loved the Dream Mousse concealers in Ivory, then you might be interested in trying out the Dream Lumi concealer because they appear to be identical in color. They are, however, very different in formulation and application. I personally prefer the Dream Lumi.

No comments:

Post a Comment